Hong Kong Investment Funds Association (HKIFA)
Established in 1986, the Hong Kong Investment Funds Association (HKIFA) is a non-profit-making industry body that represents the fund management industry of Hong Kong.
- To maintain Hong Kong's competitiveness as the major fund management center in Asia.
- To foster the development of the fund management industry in Hong Kong.
- To enhance the professional standards of the industry to ensure that they are in line with international best practices.
We believe the interests of the investment community can be best served by:
HKIFA actively works with the regulatory bodies, the government, industry participants as well as other relevant stakeholder groups to ensure proper representation of members' views in the development of rules and regulations governing the industry.
2. Investor Education
HKIFA believes that investor education is key to promoting the concept of fund investing and engages in promotional activities to ensure ongoing education of the community on fund related issues.
HKIFA has four membership types:
Full & overseas members
A fund company can qualify as a full member or an overseas member if it is either the manager or the investment adviser of at least one Investment Fund.
An "Investment Fund" means
- an authorised unit trust/mutual fund; or
- a pooled retirement fund authorized under the Code on Investment-Linked Assurance Schemes or the Code on Pooled Retirement Funds; or
- a retirement scheme registered under the Occupational Retirement Schemes Ordinance; or
- a provident fund scheme registered under the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Ordinance; or
- a closed end investment company listed on a Recognised Exchange.
The main difference between these two types of members is that a full member must be a company incorporated in Hong Kong or if it is incorporated outside Hong Kong, it has established a place of business in Hong Kong whereas an overseas member must be a company incorporated in any part of the world other than Hong Kong.
At present, HKIFA has 64 fund management companies (as at November 2014).
An affiliate member is a company that has obtained a license from the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission for type 9 regulated activities or is a fund company incorporated in the People's Republic of China. The primary business is fund management including the management of discretionary accounts, segregated portfolios or providing investment management services for non-collective investment schemes or the manager. In addition, an investment adviser of any fund investment company or arrangement not included as an Investment Fund is also eligible to apply as an affiliate member.
An associate member is a company conducting or providing any service of accounting, legal, trustee, custodian, administration, banking, distribution, and technological support to the fund management industry or any related professional services.
HKIFA has about 63 affiliate and associate members (as at November 2014).
The main sources of regulatory information re retail and pensions funds of our jurisdiction are as follows: